“TONY. WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO TELL ME ABOUT THE NEW YEAR?!”
Relax. I’m going somewhere (positive) with this….
Look, we all see a lot of interesting social media posts this time of year.
“I love the first snow!”
“What the f**k is my f**king coat?! #loveloveactually
“Can’t wait for the annual actor holiday party! #totalcheatnight
“Ughhh….I ate too much for my total cheat night…” #worthit #round2tonight
Okay those are just mine. I’m sure you’ve seen others that are richer in content. At the same time, I’m also guessing you’ve seen a variety of not so positive messages this time of year….
“SERIOUSLY 2017?!” #sooverit
“Can we just get into the new year already?
“Next year is going to be so much better….”
“I just got fired for reading Tony’s blog at work. #unsubscribing”
Whether you’re #sooverit with 2017 or just excited for 2018, I have news for you: 2018 is just a date on the calendar.
Of course there’s nothing wrong with using dates on a calendar or any kind of “new beginning” as a force of positive motivation. But let’s not confuse external motivation as the only source of motivation. That said, I’m not here to crush your “positive bubble.” . Instead of relying on a date on a calendar or any kind of external motivation, what do you have at your disposal that you can use as internal movtivation??
If you’re eager to learn more about this, I recommend reading up on some of the thought leaders who have been in the game a little longer than me. Some of my favorites include Brendan Burchard, Darren Hardy, and James Clear.
But Tony – I’m here! Can you give me any tips or advice that might be a little more helpful in the meantime?
I thought you’d never ask….
On my flight back to Boston, I compiled a lost of positive and empowering thoughts. Feel free to print out or write them down as reminders when you’re feeling frustrated.
- 2018 will have setbacks. Buckle up 😉 (Sorry…that wasn’t empowering…)
- 2018 will also have beauty. Keep your eyes open so you don’t miss it.
- You are absolutely allowed to find beauty in your setbacks
- Just because you’ve never done something before that a lot of others have been doing who are a lot (older than you, younger than you, etc) doesn’t mean you can’t start exactly where you are
- Sometimes things can be a lot easier than they seem
Thoughts for my single friends:
- Being single allows you time for things you might not have if you were in a relationship. Enjoy them while knowing that it won’t stay this way.
- Please…you can find a new boyfriend without making a bunch of physical changes. Stop reading blogs that tell you otherwise.
- List five reasons you’d make an amazing partner. Consider how many people currently in relationships aren’t getting those qualities from their significant other. You get to give those to someone.
- Sometimes the hardest part that you’ve been dreading for so long won’t be nearly as bad as you make them out to be in your head
- Ten years from now, you’ll probably have achieved a lot of your goals. And you’ll wonder why you wasted so much time freaking out.
- Don’t be so hard on yourself that you stop enjoying the journey.
- There are going to be parts you look back on fondly that will surprise you
- Your situation that’s happening right now is just that – it’s happening now. That doesn’t make it permanent.
- You’re hard on yourself because you care. Be proud that you care.
- Sometimes that negative voice in your head will get very loud. That doesn’t make it true. Volume does not equal truth.
- Your week might start out with six bad days, but that seventh awesome day will make everything worth it.
- You don’t have to be happy right now. But keep the flame of hope alive for when you’re ready to get back up
And a Tony thought for you…..
- YOU ARE AMAZING, BEAUTIFUL, AND CAPABLE OF GREATNESS EXACTLY AS YOU ARE AND WHERE YOU ARE.
“Start where you are, with what you have – because what you have is plenty enough.” -Eric Thomas.
I’m #notperfect. But if you’re reading this, I’m guessing you’re not either. Why not try something empowering instead of disempowering this week – or hell, this year??
Thank you for reading – whether it’s your first time or one hundredth. I’m grateful for you. You deserve to feel amazing. Go after what you love.
Let’s go get ‘em, friends.
PS – Thanks to all of you who did make 2017 so memorable 🙂
Photo by Garret Sacco
Photo by Nicole Shuberg Photography
Photo by Johnny Knight Photo
*** *** ***
Thanks for reading!
By the way, I’m Tony. I live in Chicago. (Duh.) I’m an actor and blogger living right up the street from Wrigley Field.
My blog is here to help others take control and live a more authentically positive life on their terms. Since working with a coach and learning more about personal development, I’ve started sharing my learnings with others. (I have a lot…)
If we’ve never meet – shoot me a tweet! Would love to hear how you found this 🙂
Wanna see more? Check out my actor website or YouTube channel!
Wanna make sure you never miss a post? Click the “Follow” button in the right corner to enter your email and subscribe!